Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Trouble getting started, but on a roll now

So, I had some trouble getting started with this week's story, but now that I've started, I'm on a roll. I have little doubt that I will have a complete story in time for Sunday. It's interesting how this worked out. I knew how I wanted to story to start, and where I wanted the beginning to go (I've got an actual outline for this story), but for some reason, I just couldn't get a first line. I was stumped on it. Then, I remembered something I learned a while back in a creative writing class I took.

Just write something. Anything. It doesn't matter how horrible or hackneyed it is. Just write it down. The process of writing gets you writing more.

So, I did. I pictured how I wanted the story to start, and simply wrote a description of what I saw in my head. Turns out, not only did it get me past the stall, but it was a good starting line. How about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment