Sunday, March 14, 2010

Week 10!

Well, it has been an interesting weekend here. Yesterday morning, my family and I were eating breakfast (home made breakfast burritos), when suddenly, we heard a large crack and then the fan over the stove went out. When I went to look, I saw that the clock on the microwave was off as well. The power had gone out.

My wife went out side to check and see what was going on, and talked to our neighbor. She said that a tree fell down, and when it did, it hit the power lines from the telephone pole in the canyon behind our houses. As the two of them sat there watching, the tree continued to fall, yanking wires as it went. Our neighbor's power box on the outside of the house was pulled clear off, and the telephone cracked and broke in half.

911 was called, and police and a fire truck came up, both to make sure that everyone was okay. Later, the electric company and some tree people came up. The tree people took several hours, but eventually they got the tree cut up and de-tangled from all the wires. Then, the electric company got involved. They told us that they would be out there as long as it took to get our power back, which relieved us, because in the mean time, our refrigerator and freezer were without power, and we had just bought $500 in groceries from Costco.

We went out to dinner with some friends and came back to a still powerless house. We found that without even basic lights, it was difficult to entertain your selves by candlelight, so the wife went to bed. Determined to get in SOME writing that day, I pulled out a book light and a pad of paper, and wrote by hand.

At around 11 o'clock, I decided to go to bed. I was just finishing snuffing out the candles when I heard a BEEP and a CLICK and suddenly the lamp in the living room came on. Woo! Power! I could hear the fridge powering up, and that made me happy.

This morning, I confirmed that, yes, the power was on, but the cable was out, which meant so was our internet and phone. That came on just a few minutes ago, 12:30 in the afternoon.

So, we're back in business! The good news is, I managed to finish this week's story, between this morning and the pad and pencil last night. Now, I can post it today, and still stick to my schedule!

So, quite the adventure. But, in the end, everyone is okay, and you still get to read a story this week. Everyone wins! So, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment